Monday, January 16, 2012

Video Monday-How to tell off 30 grown men who could pound you to a pulp




Easy: Be the referee.

Welsh referee Nigel Owens has a great style of commanding rugby matches. Americans are used to hand signals and very impersonal rules and penalties being recited over a microphone that can easily be turned on and off. This is all done in the name of objectivity and partiality, which definitely has its merits, but Owens' fatherly style of addressing players individually and as a whole is wonderfully refreshing. Yes, he keeps all the rules, but he makes sure the players don't break them again. Never will this be found in the NFL.

Here's how he handled a penalty that led to a fight:




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog. So much so that you inspired me to start my own! I think perhaps I enjoy reading your posts so much because its about raising sons from the point of view of the father, whereas I am raising my son alone. Its pretty interesting to read about.

    ReplyDelete