Tuesday, December 27, 2011

They're watching us...

Every son is his father's apprentice, studying not his dad's profession but his way of living, thinking, and behaving.
Dr. Meg Meeker, Boys Should be Boys

And sometimes his profession, as well. My dad retired from teaching and spent every summer I can remember painting houses. Since we were old enough to hold a 4 inch brush coated with oil based paint, my brothers and sister and I were up on ladders painting with him. Now, I'm a teacher and occasional house painter. But that has nothing to do with my relationship with my dad and what I learned from him.

He grew up on a farm and still carries that even temperament. I've only known him to take a day off when he was in the hospital--and even then he had to be unconscious. There was always something to do to keep his hands busy, whether cleaning or repairing or volunteering at the church. Or painting others' houses.

I think I learned more about work from watching him than any inspirational quote or motivational book could ever teach. And that's something I hope to pass on to my son. Already he is eager to help me with projects around the house. There's a part of me that wants to just yell "Put the screws down!" "Give me that hammer!" "Don't touch the extension cord!" But I know that letting him explore and help and watch will do more teaching than yelling ever could.

Here are some lyrics that have stuck with me since I was in this musical in high school. From Stephen Sondheim's Into the Woods:

Careful the things you say, children will listen
Careful the things you do, children will see and learn
Children may not obey, but children will listen
Children will look to you for which way to turn
To learn what to be
Careful before you say, 'Listen to me'
Children will listen


My son is watching me finish this up, and on seeing the picture, he said, "That's me and Grampie under his truck." He's picking up something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment